Welcome to Roanoke Linux Users Group Friday, June 22 2018 @ 09:13 AM EDT
The 2016 Hour of Code, sponsored by the Roanoke Linux Users Group, will be Saturday, December 10th at 2:00 pm. Location will be at CoLab Roanoke.
Details and sign up at Learn To Program, Roanoke!
The next ROALUG meeting will be Thursday, October 20, 2016 and will feature the Raspberry Pi. The RPi is a tiny credit card sized computer system-on-a-chip (SOC) that can run several different flavors of GNU/Linux, including the Raspberry Pi specific distribution called Raspbian.
This meeting will feature a hands-on workshop with the Raspberry Pi Model B, where the group will build a couple of simple circuits and program the RPi using Python. There are a limited number of seats available, please RSVP on Meetup.com.
The next ROALUG meeting is September 15, 2016. Let's build something! Bring your laptop and your own Arduino board (or reserve one of the available kits). As a group, we'll build a couple of fun and easy projects and do some coding.
Our next meeting is Thursday, May 19, 2016 from 6:30 to 8:00 PM.
Create a home private network server with openVPN and Raspberry Pi. In this session of ROALUG we will take an in-depth look at virtual private networks (VPN), how and why to use one and then walk through the steps to create your very own VPN on your home network.
An extra special session of the Roanoke Linux Users Group, open to ROALUG and all other tech/makerspace groups in the area!
The Goal: Form a team (or work on your own) and submit a project to the Hackaday Prize design challenge.
Need some inspiration for your project? Here are some ideas:
•Citizen Science - Build a graphene supercapacitor, study the effects of a behavior, build an open source instrumentation device.
• Automation - Build a device that makes breakfast or buys laundry detergent when you’re running low. Automatically track stuff, automate any process, build a Me-robot to do your every whim
•Assistive technologies - Build a project that helps others move better, see better, or live better. Whether that means exoskeletons, a better wheelchair, a braille display, or educational software, we want to see it.
• Or any other idea you have to hack for social change! Leverage your talent and find solutions to address technology issues facing humanity today.
• 1:00pm: Introductions, meet n greet, eat some snacks
• 1:30pm: Form teams, brainstorm and create your project proposals. See the other entries here: https://hackaday.io/submissions/prize2016/list
• 3:00pm: Share ideas in a round of lightning pitches and get feedback from the other teams
• 4:00pm: Submit your project ideas to the Hackaday Prize design challenge according to https://hackaday.io/prize/details#one
• 4:30pm: Wrap up and celebrate!
What to Bring:
• Your laptop and charger
• Pen and paper
• A brain ready to generate ideas
The snow is gone, but not the 10% off on SparkFun Mini-Inventors Kit with code SNOWDAY10 until 2/6/16 in the Roanoke Hobby shop!
Tonight! - the Minecraft Marathon being held March 11 - 12, 2016. Play Minecraft and raise funds and awareness for Children's Miracle Network, Carilion Children's Hospital and Extra Life
See www.RoanokeMinecraftMarathon.org for more details!
Our first meeting for 2016 will feature Ubuntu Hour and the most recent version Wiley Werewolf 15.10. We will take a look at new features, improvements and include some tips for upgrading.
Thursday, January 21 at 6:30 PM
1327 Grandin Rd SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
View the event on Meetup.com and sign up to be a member of ROALUG. Mark your calendars and hope to see you there!
Now Open for Business!
Roanoke Hobby and Electronics is a new DIY project blog and online store for your favorite project components, boards and accessories. The purchases made at RHE will support the Roanoke Linux Users Group, future Roanoke Raspberry Jam and other events that are always free of charge for the public.
Please stop by and visit the new site. We are also on Facebook