Welcome to Roanoke Linux Users Group Wednesday, October 18 2017 @ 11:39 PM EDT
Our next ROALUG meeting will be Thursday, October 19, 2017
6:30 - 9:00 pm
The Raspbian OS for the Raspberry Pi is based on Debian Linux, which releases a new version every two years. The recent release is called Raspbian Stretch* - we'll take a look at upgrading vs a fresh install, new features and security implications with this upgrade.
• Version 3.0.1 of Sonic Pi is included
• Chromium web browser version 60
• Bluetooth audio
Hope to see you there!
**This ROALUG meeting is sponsored by:
Tia Bracken, Sr Professional Recruiter
The next regular meeting of ROALUG will be August 17, 2017. This meeting will be part of the Ubuntu Global Jam featuring Ubuntu 16.04, the current Long-Term Release of Ubuntu. There will be door prizes and refreshments provided!
The July 2017 monthly ROALUG meeting will feature Zorin OS.
Following up from June's meeting, we'll install and configure another popular distribution that is aimed at the Linux beginner.
The January ROALUG meeting will be Thursday, 1/19/2017 at 6:30 pm - Advanced Arduino Workshop. Let's go beyond the basics and build a project using buttons, motion sensor and speaker. Bring your own Arduino if you have one, otherwise, I will have boards and components to share with the group.
The 2016 Hour of Code, sponsored by the Roanoke Linux Users Group, will be Saturday, December 10th at 2:00 pm. Location will be at CoLab Roanoke.
Details and sign up at Learn To Program, Roanoke!
The next ROALUG meeting will be Thursday, October 20, 2016 and will feature the Raspberry Pi. The RPi is a tiny credit card sized computer system-on-a-chip (SOC) that can run several different flavors of GNU/Linux, including the Raspberry Pi specific distribution called Raspbian.
This meeting will feature a hands-on workshop with the Raspberry Pi Model B, where the group will build a couple of simple circuits and program the RPi using Python. There are a limited number of seats available, please RSVP on Meetup.com.
The next ROALUG meeting is September 15, 2016. Let's build something! Bring your laptop and your own Arduino board (or reserve one of the available kits). As a group, we'll build a couple of fun and easy projects and do some coding.
Our next meeting is Thursday, May 19, 2016 from 6:30 to 8:00 PM.
Create a home private network server with openVPN and Raspberry Pi. In this session of ROALUG we will take an in-depth look at virtual private networks (VPN), how and why to use one and then walk through the steps to create your very own VPN on your home network.
An extra special session of the Roanoke Linux Users Group, open to ROALUG and all other tech/makerspace groups in the area!
The Goal: Form a team (or work on your own) and submit a project to the Hackaday Prize design challenge.
Need some inspiration for your project? Here are some ideas:
•Citizen Science - Build a graphene supercapacitor, study the effects of a behavior, build an open source instrumentation device.
• Automation - Build a device that makes breakfast or buys laundry detergent when you’re running low. Automatically track stuff, automate any process, build a Me-robot to do your every whim
•Assistive technologies - Build a project that helps others move better, see better, or live better. Whether that means exoskeletons, a better wheelchair, a braille display, or educational software, we want to see it.
• Or any other idea you have to hack for social change! Leverage your talent and find solutions to address technology issues facing humanity today.
• 1:00pm: Introductions, meet n greet, eat some snacks
• 1:30pm: Form teams, brainstorm and create your project proposals. See the other entries here: https://hackaday.io/submissions/prize2016/list
• 3:00pm: Share ideas in a round of lightning pitches and get feedback from the other teams
• 4:00pm: Submit your project ideas to the Hackaday Prize design challenge according to https://hackaday.io/prize/details#one
• 4:30pm: Wrap up and celebrate!
What to Bring:
• Your laptop and charger
• Pen and paper
• A brain ready to generate ideas
The snow is gone, but not the 10% off on SparkFun Mini-Inventors Kit with code SNOWDAY10 until 2/6/16 in the Roanoke Hobby shop!