Welcome to Roanoke Linux Users Group Sunday, September 24 2017 @ 04:26 AM EDT
An extra special session of the Roanoke Linux Users Group, open to ROALUG and all other tech/makerspace groups in the area!
The Goal: Form a team (or work on your own) and submit a project to the Hackaday Prize design challenge.
Need some inspiration for your project? Here are some ideas:
•Citizen Science - Build a graphene supercapacitor, study the effects of a behavior, build an open source instrumentation device.
• Automation - Build a device that makes breakfast or buys laundry detergent when you’re running low. Automatically track stuff, automate any process, build a Me-robot to do your every whim
•Assistive technologies - Build a project that helps others move better, see better, or live better. Whether that means exoskeletons, a better wheelchair, a braille display, or educational software, we want to see it.
• Or any other idea you have to hack for social change! Leverage your talent and find solutions to address technology issues facing humanity today.
• 1:00pm: Introductions, meet n greet, eat some snacks
• 1:30pm: Form teams, brainstorm and create your project proposals. See the other entries here: https://hackaday.io/submissions/prize2016/list
• 3:00pm: Share ideas in a round of lightning pitches and get feedback from the other teams
• 4:00pm: Submit your project ideas to the Hackaday Prize design challenge according to https://hackaday.io/prize/details#one
• 4:30pm: Wrap up and celebrate!
What to Bring:
• Your laptop and charger
• Pen and paper
• A brain ready to generate ideas
Roanoke Raspberry Jam – Spring 2016
April 16th 1:00 – 4:30 pm
Schedule of Events
1:00 – Meet and Greet / Share Your Project. Bring your Raspberry Pi project and share your ideas with the group. We will have light refreshments.
2:00 – Minecraft: Pi Edition. Not only does the Raspbian operating system include a free edition of Minecraft (based on Minecraft Pocket Edition) but you can also do some coding with Python to manipulate objects in the game. We'll take look at this fun and easy way to learn programming!
3:00 – Build Robots and other Projects with GoPiGo and GrovePi. We'll take a spin around the room with a GoPiGo robot complete with a WiFi web cam and connect a variety of Seeed Studio Grove sensors with the GrovePi+ board.
4:00 – Learn Electronic Circuits with RaspberrySTEM. A complete learning laboratory based on the Raspberry Pi that takes you step-by-step through a series of lessons that teach the basics of electronics.
RSVP via the ROALUG page on Meetup.com
The snow is gone, but not the 10% off on SparkFun Mini-Inventors Kit with code SNOWDAY10 until 2/6/16 in the Roanoke Hobby shop!
Scenario: Windows 10 on a HP tablet consistently stops on a routine Windows Update around 80%. Multiple reboots. No resolution. I turn to the Microsoft Support Forum, find no answer. Click on the Online Chat with Support.
Tonight! - the Minecraft Marathon being held March 11 - 12, 2016. Play Minecraft and raise funds and awareness for Children's Miracle Network, Carilion Children's Hospital and Extra Life
See www.RoanokeMinecraftMarathon.org for more details!
Our first meeting for 2016 will feature Ubuntu Hour and the most recent version Wiley Werewolf 15.10. We will take a look at new features, improvements and include some tips for upgrading.
Thursday, January 21 at 6:30 PM
1327 Grandin Rd SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
View the event on Meetup.com and sign up to be a member of ROALUG. Mark your calendars and hope to see you there!
Now Open for Business!
Roanoke Hobby and Electronics is a new DIY project blog and online store for your favorite project components, boards and accessories. The purchases made at RHE will support the Roanoke Linux Users Group, future Roanoke Raspberry Jam and other events that are always free of charge for the public.
Please stop by and visit the new site. We are also on Facebook
Fedora 22 Test Drive
For our next regular meeting of the ROALUG, Spend an evening taking a test drive of the newly released Fedora 22.
Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 6:30 PM
1327 Grandin Rd SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
Mark your calendars for the next Roanoke Raspberry Jam coming Saturday, October 31, 2015 from 1:00 - 4:00 pm.
For the Fall 2015 Raspberry Jam, we'll have new projects and topics to discuss. Bring your favorite Raspberry Pi project for show-and-tell.
Events being planned:
• Monitor your home with a Raspberry Pi – IoT project for temperature and humidity
• New Users Introduction to Raspbian, the OS built specifically for the Raspberry Pi
• Raspberry Pi Show ‘n Tell – Bring your favorite project to share
• Introduction to Programming with Scratch – Roanoke Coder Dojo*
• RaspberrySTEM Creator Kit demonstration
You can register FREE for this event at Eventbrite.
* To RSVP for the Coder DoJo session, register separately here.